A Warning about Rapidshare

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Ladybbird, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Ladybbird

Ladybbird Guest

"Rapidshare declares the interests of copyright holders are more important than the privacy of its users, keeps records on file of who uploads or downloads copyrighted material

For many years Rapidshare was considered to be a safe way for people to download copyrighted content without having to face repercussions. Recently, however, the company has been actively going after users that upload or download copyrighted files through the service by terminating accounts and logging IP-addresses for legal purposes.

In common with BitTorrent and other file-sharing services, Rapidshare has steadily increased its user base in recent years. The site has hundreds of millions of visitors each month and is listed among the 50 most-used sites on the Internet.

Like most file-hosting services, Rapidshare is hosting a wide range of music, movies and music files that are distributed without the consent of the rightsholders. This has dragged the company’s bosses into several lawsuits with copyright holders already, most recently they were ordered to proactively filter 148 book titles to avoid jail time and huge fines.

Although it is no secret that many people use Rapidshare to distribute copyrighted content, the site’s users have remained largely untouched until recently. Over the last few weeks, however, reports are coming in from users who’ve had their accounts terminated for downloading or uploading copyrighted files. From the emails being sent out, it is clear that Rapidshare is taking a more aggressive stance towards ‘infringing’ users.

“It came to our attention that illegal uploads which have violated third-party copyrights that can result in lawsuits are being hosted on our servers, thus voiding the Terms of Service. We have detected and removed these files from our servers, as requested by the legitimate owners, and are now in the process of terminating accounts that have downloaded or stored those copyrighted materials in order to prevent them from circulating and breaching copyrights again,” the email from Rapidshare reads.

Terminating accounts is not the end of it though, as Rapidshare informs the users in question that their personal details will be kept for legal purposes. “A log file of all your login IP addresses and xxxxxxxx/downloaded file details will be kept for legal purposes,” they write. Rapidshare advises users who want to appeal the decision to hire a lawyer.

The email doesn’t elaborate on what they mean by “legal purposes” but we assume that the company is going to use it as leverage, and that logs might eventually end up in the hands of copyright holders. If anything, the email from Rapidshare makes it clear that the company places the interests of copyright holders above the privacy of its users.

There is little doubt that this active termination policy is the result of ever-increasing pressure from copyright holders. At the same time, these actions might very well be the end of Rapidshare’s limitless expansion, as users will quickly move over to competing file-hosting services upon hearing this news."
    END

I believe this to be true. I have been complaining about their service for a while, I am a premium ac holder. It is taking longer and longer to download movies and I have noticed Uploaders of Movies complaining about them also, saying they no longer get paid on points. Uploaders seem to be using other sites now for their links.

A friend has confirmed it happened to him, he wrote this;

It is true .. I got my account closed and money taken any because they said I xxxxxxxx a file and I have done that .. so they took my money away and said they would not give a refund and would not respond to anything I say to them
    So I used paypal and got my money back that way .. because they would not talk to paypal also ... so gave me all the money .. plus the exchange rate and interest on the money
    And they were told they had better get things right or they will pull there account

So be Careful Guys. :shok:

2. Ladybbird

Ladybbird Guest

I am glad my friend confirmed this happened to him because here is the response from RS on their site

March 30, 2010
    During the last couple of days some e-mails created confusion, imputing illegal activities to the recipients and stating that RapidShare was collecting data against the Privacy Policy for legal purposes. The e-mails also advised the users to seek legal council. These emails are faked and did not originate from us. If you have received such a message, please contact our support, because your Premium Account might have been "phished". The fake e-mails are sent to keep you from contacting us.

In fact, nothing has changed at RapidShare over the last days. We are still not collecting any information about which user downloads which files. We are still successfully fighting in court against requests to open or scan our customers' files, be it by our staff or by use of content recognition technologies. We are still defending data privacy rights on the internet.

Of course, you still have to comply with our terms and conditions. If content owners bring to our attention that some of our customers have obviously distributed pirated copies of their content repeatedly or at a large scale, we reserve the right to close these accounts without previous notice.

3. orvial

orvial Guest

False reports confuse RapidShare customers
    March 29, 2010

During the last couple of days some e-mails created confusion, imputing illegal activities to the recipients and stating that RapidShare was collecting data against the Privacy Policy for legal purposes. The e-mails also advised the users to seek legal council. These emails are faked and did not originate from us. If you have received such a message, please contact our support, because your Premium Account might have been "phished". The fake e-mails are sent to keep you from contacting us.

In fact, nothing has changed at RapidShare over the last days. We are still not collecting any information about which user downloads which files. We are still successfully fighting in court against requests to open or scan our customers' files, be it by our staff or by use of content recognition technologies. We are still defending data privacy rights on the internet.

Of course, you still have to comply with our terms and conditions. If content owners bring to our attention that some of our customers have obviously distributed pirated copies of their content repeatedly or at a large scale, we reserve the right to close these accounts without previous notice.

Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/news.html

4. Yder2dedrma

Yder2dedrma Guest

Possibly these nefarious actions are in fact by those phishing for account details. I had an email stating that my account had been terminated because of similar activity (around a year back). When I contached RapidShare they had not sent the email, the parasite that had obtained my account login had in fact sent it & changed my password at the same time thereby blocking my access! :17:

This obviously works on some users as they believe they were at fault & do not atempt to take it any further, As I pay for 12 months with RapidShare I enquired what happened to the balance remaining. This was when I found that the action had nothing to do with RapidShare.

Since the majority of RapidShare's revenue is from illegal downloads it wouldn't make sense for them to become all moralistic! :read:

5. fgnkmtelsnw

fgnkmtelsnw Guest

very Interresting thread, I was checking out the forum because I have been noticing that most of the new movies for download are noon rapidshare any more but hotfile, etc... which is a bit of a pain as I am a premium account holder with Rs.... wonder if it s time to change... lol

please keep us informed,

Cheers,

Phil

6. custer

custer Guest

No, these are reports from peeps who have had their rapidshare user/pass stolen by trojans or by clicking on phishing links. Rapidshare never sends out emails of this type. You may get emails from rapidshare saying your account has been canceled because you tried to download at the same time someone is trying to use your stolen user/pass. You talk to rapidshare, explain you know the rules, that it wasn't you and get a new user/pass. Your old user/pass is gone.

Btw, rapidshare moved their servers to Switzerland because of trouble with the German courts. They're not giving in or giving out personal information about their users. Rapidshare is safe.

7. RapidRookie

RapidRookie Guest

I appreciate the updates, new information regarding RS is always welcome.

8. Culagildabima

Culagildabima New Member

I have an account with RS and donot upload there anymore

I use one called Multiupload.com

that uploads to many other sites including RS as well
    but the other sites are there from what I have on Multiupload.com

check it out and its FREE

9. Sun2

Sun2 Guest

Thanks so much for this information. I feel pretty confident that r/s is safe, having had a premium account for about 3 years.

10. dudefromdill

dudefromdill Guest

Thanks for the info. I've been having problems lately uploading things to my rapidshare account. I've even openned a hotfile account but I'm still not sure which alternative would be better. Guess I just need to inform myself more on the other sites.
    Dude

11. nickbek

nickbek New Member

i have no problem with rapid. good up and down speed .. if files are deleted do to copyrighted material it usually do to not naming file properly .. really if you name file ie" win7 ..well da on you lol

12. i too have a rapidshare premium account i have never encountered any problems with it and find the download speeds terrific and long may this great service continue

13. ryfaba789

ryfaba789 New Member

RapidShare is AWESOME!!! I wish everyone here used nothing but RS. They're the biggest because they're the best.

14. ryumahon

ryumahon Guest

both rapidshare and hotfile premium user here... and no problem at all.... honestly RS is way much faster than HF...

still RS is the best...

15. d0PeHeAd

d0PeHeAd Guest

rapidshare is the best much faster then other filehosting site's the one thing that put me off H/F is that it automatic take the money from your account each month were RS dont

Hotfiles
    When you subscribe to a Hotfile plan, your payment method will automatically be set up for monthly recurring billing for your convenience - without having to always manually send money. Your account will remains premium and you don't need to worry about account expiration. Your payment method will automatically be charged one month after your initial transaction and each month thereafter.

RapidShare
    No subscription
    Premium accounts expire automatically. You just pay for the time you selected and have no further obligations.

16. charli943

charli943 Guest

thanks for your nice threat!!

17. nicoledc109

nicoledc109 Guest

Thanks you for the post.

18. majicmick

majicmick Guest

If all the hype of rapidshare nosing into our personal data and tracking our uploads and downloads is false. Why does it seem so many people are moving to hotfile and others?
    I've noticed this change over the course of about a month when visiting divxturka.