Derek (2008)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by llanes13, Jun 11, 2009.

1. llanes13

llanes13 Guest

Rating: 7.2/10
    Runtime: 76 min.
    Language: English
    Color: Color/black & white

Director: Isaac Julien
    Derek Jarman ... Himself (archive footage)
    Tilda Swinton ... Narrator (voice)

Description: Tilda Swinton's narration of 'Derek' knits together the almost disorientating abundance of film clips, interviews and stills. She remembers first encountering Jarman in the mid-1980s. "I had run away to join a different circus myself – Planet Jarmania. He was the first person I met who could gossip about St Thomas Aquinas and hold a steady camera at the same time, as he did at our first meeting. Derek was, for us young ones just moved to London from university or homes in the provinces, the greatest fun grown-up you can imagine being around. He wore his renegade identity like a buccaneer's cape: lightly and with gleeful pride – in fact, a proper swagger – and he made it his business to be inclusive. He spun a party out of every production meeting, every shoot day, every elevenses.

In one of the first scenes of 'Derek', Swinton reflects on how it was Jarman's wish at one point to evaporate from view and take his work with him – and how close to the truth this has become. "There is a whole generation of people who will never have heard of Derek Jarman and are just the kind of people who would love his films. And where are they? They have only recently started to be talked about being released on DVD... [They're rarely seen] on video and seldom in cinemas. You know, where are independent distributors? How is it going to be possible for independent distributors to feel powerful enough to distribute this kind of work in the future and to educate the film audience?

697 MB
    Resolution: 576x288
    Video Codec: Xvid
    Video Bitrate: 1251 kbps
    Audio Codec: AC3
    Audio Bitrate: 192 kbps
    Frame Rate: 29 frames/second

Rar Password: None

The Extended Derek Jarman Interview:

698 MB
    Resolution: 528x352
    Video Codec: Xvid