Moderators garbage, recycle bin

Discussion in 'Archive' started by LynnePBaker, Jun 14, 2010.

1. LynnePBaker

LynnePBaker New Member

Guys

I think anything put in mod garbage or recycle bin should be replied to why it was put their by the mod that moves it their unless its obvious why it was put their.

I see many posts put in trash with nothing more than a wrong icon which we can fix easily.

Thanks
    Mike

2. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

I don't have time to post on every thread i move........my post count would be ridiculous and i'd have no real life at all lol.
    If the majority of staff would rather see the board get filled with threads that break the rules then i won't be touching anything except the threads in my own section.

I've already stated several times that i just trash whatever doesn't follow the rules in my own department.......its quick and acts as a better deterrent than warnings or infractions.
    I will not let my section go back to 2000+ pages of rubbish :/

3. ryfaba789

ryfaba789 New Member

I totally agree with that. If WE fix threads, they won't give much thought to doing it again. If THEY have to repost correctly, they'll be less likely to do it next time. I ALWAYS give an infraction when trashing a post. That lets the poster know why and lets other mods see what he did. That helps with repeat offenders.

4. LynnePBaker

LynnePBaker New Member

I agree guys i didn't make myself clear....I suggested we reply to things that are not obvious as to why they were trashed. I do mybest to fix posts with minor infractions such as icons but of coarse i will only help a member once then its time for infractions.

I hope i made myself more clear.

Thanks
    Mike

5. nickbek

nickbek New Member

my rule of thumb is .. if a post receives a warn its to mod trash,, no warn to bin..if in bin it in most cases needs no reason why. ie wrong icon . other wise i state why in bin

6. LynnePBaker

LynnePBaker New Member

tHANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP CATCH...THIS IS WHAT I MEAN BY COMMUNICATION AMONG STAFF.

7. nickbek

nickbek New Member

np problem mike .. it's just a guide line for myself. i don't know what ways others do it , but i find it easy and does not take much time. we cant just send posts to bin for no apparent reason, to mods it may make sense but to the member he/she may not understand why .. i have seen some members ask why there post is in bin and checked post..it was ok to me ,so we must but why to bin in post if theres no apparent reason

8. ryfaba789

ryfaba789 New Member

Some mods have been bin-happy and ban-happy.

9. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

I hardly ever send anything to the bin........mostly just nice, clean threads that have dead links.
    If a member has posted the fact that the links are dead, its simple enough to move and close it.

Old habits die hard with me, and as a mod and an smod elsewhere i was the main enforcer and site cleaner.My methods have never been criticised until i came here :(

Oh, well.......no big deal i suppose.

10. ryfaba789

ryfaba789 New Member

Just my personal opinion, but deadlegion is pretty much in charge of the games section and is running it as he sees fit. If there was any problem with that, hope90 would have already said something. I don't know how, but he knows EVERYTHING that goes on here. I realize that no one said anything about games in particular, just giving my opinion about it.

As for me, I'm not going to fix any posts - people don't learn as well that way. And when I find a post with the wrong icon or wrong section, etc. I look at that person's other posts and trash all those that are bad, too. I'm not going to leave a message in every one. When I trashed the first one, I gave them an infraction. There are too many people posting trash, getting banned and coming back with a new ID to treat everyone as if they are all trying to do right. An infraction doesn't hurt anyone, but lets them know that they need to read the rules and pay attention. Also, I always put the reason for the infraction in the Admin Notes so any other mod can know why the post was trashed.

If anyone has a problem with this, please PM me and we can discuss it. I'm always open to learning something better.

[​IMG]
    fotoguy​

11. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

Please don't ask me to post a pic of myself.
    I never do it on any site......the authorities only have old photos of me and i intend to keep it that way lol.

Yep, i'm in charge of the games, and it took me a little while to get a posting rules annuncement for my section.
    There are probably still some threads that may have links or something like that in there somewhere.......but i've tried my best to clean it out, it took me a couple of months :D

I tried your idea of copying warn/infract PM content to the admin note once dude.......there wasn't enough room for the whole thing :/
    Probably 'cos when i write up a PM it's usually pretty comprehensive with thread faults, a link to the rules and sometimes even a small note about a ban coming if rules are broken again.

I kinda miss working on IPB to be honest......it just had a warn system and ban timeframes.
    Also, we use to have a special subsection for IP ban requests.You'd create a thread for a user, list all things they've done wrong (maybe some links to threads)......list IP's......then admin would come along, ban them and post the info in your thread and close it.
    It wasn't a large site, and we had unreal preventative measures against spambots, proxies and all kinds of junk.......so the ban subsection wasn't very big lol.
    It was also a nice place to check out staff "kills" :p

12. ryfaba789

ryfaba789 New Member

When giving an infraction it automatically PMs the member, so no need for a PM too. I keep it simple: NO LIVE LINKS (including IMDb link)! Please use proper post icon. Read the rules! (example)

They know what it means. If they're honest member, they'll do right next time. Spammers will ignore and continue.

And sorry - I didn't realize my picture was that big.

13. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

lol dude, no need to apologise for the size of your pic.

Yeah, when i mentioned a PM i was referring to the PM that's sent when you give a warn/infraction.
    Only half a dozen members have ever acknowledged my warn/infract PM's (when i was doing that all the time and fixing threads).......which is why i decided to improve my efficiency by rarely doing them now, and just trashing threads in my section as punishment like i always have done elsewhere as a mod/smod :/

I only just PM ppl that want to ask about something.......or private conversation.

That's another thing i miss about IPB, the shoutbox had a private tab function for chat between 2 ppl........not just for staff, for any 2 members.
    Very handy for live chats between staff members tho, keeping it away from other sb viewers.

There are so many things i've seen that work really well, and i've been led to believe its all just a matter of coding, so it all should be possible on vB i assume.

14. custer

custer Guest

? Why are you posting this?

15. ryfaba789

ryfaba789 New Member

I'm just saying that when you give an infraction, it automatically sends the member a PM that they received the infraction, including any reasons you gave. So there is no need to send an additional PM.

16. LynnePBaker

LynnePBaker New Member

Them pms are a big waste of time i sent out hundreds of infraction pms and got 1 reply saying sorry and they will be more carefull next time Geeeesssshhhh