Thank you?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by mills_330, Jul 12, 2009.

1. mills_330

mills_330 Guest

Ive been a member here for a few years. I just wanted to know why people seem so fixated on others saying thank you. You've made up poems, pictures and seem so desperate for a simple thank you...why? I mean does it really matter. Ive posted links on here and i really couldnt care less if someone said thank you for them. Is their another reason behind it?

2. sickofdtv

sickofdtv New Member

Saying thank you is a common courtesy that most of us are taught from childhood.

When someone gives me something freely, I say thank you.
    When somone fills a request by me, I say thank you.
    When someone opens a door for me to go first, I say thank you.
    When I awake in the morning, I look to the heavens and say thank you.
    When I was young and went to school, I would always thank the teachers at the end of the year.
    When I joined the Armey and finished boot camp, I thanked the drill sgt for helping make me a better soldier.
    When I got married, I thanked the preacher (oops)
    When My sons were born, I thanked the doctors ( and God)
    When I got a divorce I thanked the judge
    When my grandsons were born I thanked the lord
    When my last day on earth comes, if I am able I will thank the lord for the time he give me.

When someones says thanks it usually is gratifying to the reciever for the hard work they done
    no matter how trivial or great it was.

I give a thank you , even if it is not perfect, the effort is what counts.

This is the answer you wanted to hear:

As you already know before posting this question, every thank you means the post gets bumped back to the top of the section, giving the post another chance to gather points at the chosen hosting site.

When I first started helping people on here by filling request, I got no points as I
    would search the forum and the net for what they wanted. I never xxxxxxxx to help them out but 1 time. It was a torrent and I downloaded it, converted it, xxxxxxxx it and posted it. It was downloaded 2 times. The only thing I got from that was the
    I remember the user who requested, because she thanked me over and over, which was unnecessary.
    That thank you meant more to me than any points I could have gotten.
    The time it took was not wasted on an inconsiderate person who thinks the world owes them a life.

I have posted a lot since then, and I appreciate every Thank you I recieve.
    I even say You are welcome, which is not required but polite.
    Someone got all my post blocked and that was that. A user requested some music be upped again. Rather than take a chance on that hosting site, I xxxxxxxx to another that could be downloaded for a short time to fill their request.
    Yes, all I got was that dreaded "Thank You"

I require no thank you, but it is nice when someone takes time to say "THANK YOU" points or not.

I would like to thank you for asking.

Oh yes, I am sorry the three sets of links you posted on this site got trashed before you got a thank you!

3. rsole

rsole Guest

Amen Armey...And Thank You!

4. sickofdtv

sickofdtv New Member

:heyo::heyo:

5. Dawnz

Dawnz Guest

Nice replies above;
    just to add my two cents

@Mills_330,

I undertsand your contention about Thank You's at an online forum. Unlike the real place, posting 'Thank You's' / Welcome too often, as comment in an online forum - Bumps the posts, crowds a section, eclipses newer posts. This type of behaviour in some forums is called 'being a post-whore' ;)

To address what you asked; there are three types of users who visit forums like ours - The downloader (end-user), the one who is bored and looking for approval and constant encouragement to share, and Thirdly , the one who simply loves to share. All three are equal and important.

However, Thank you is a great booster for the second category of user. For them the more, the thank you, the greater their online self-esteem. (Scotsdavy1 was one such moderator here, admin Janissery had to request him to stop posting exceesive thank you and welcome at his own post! It was nuisance actually, it was a classic example of a post-whore.) And also, the whole issue about bumping the post in attempts to garner a few download points (rapidshare) and increasing post counts. ;) From moderating point fo view too, it adds to the task, as it designates already checked/moderated posts as 'new'.

It also works fine for the first category,as it affirms a a new downlaoder, that the upload quality is good as described . For the third category, he/she will share irrespective of, no thank you, single thank you, or tons of thank you ( Forum staff -uploaders, moderators, admins fall in this category - they are what they are beacuse they love to share/help)

So to each person his own. No one implying in the least implying that no one thank and be thankless. defnitely not. But the purpose of thank you as a comment can be negated by adding a thank you button. Those who love the post and share, hit the thank you button and let the comment space be reserved for discussing about the share ( quality, opinions, mirrors, new related info etc). WRT download points, - a good unique share will attract more downloaders, and more points automatically. More 'thank you' hits, can also be tied with highlighting that particular post for easy spotting. If hitting a 'thank you' is not enough, and the share is unique and good, then also add to his/her reputations. if this is not being thankful and grateful, i don't know what is. Infact this way, the author will garner more thank acknowledgements, as those who desist typing will find it easier to click a button.

Till the time, A thank you button is included (depends on Peter, admin), one could consider saying thanks by adding to reputation points of the author whose share they liked. Serves well. This way a user's 'thank you' doesn't only remains in one post alone, but the author carries it with his forum avatar ,as green points everywhere the forum. :good:

But as i said before, to each his own​

6. eskimoshoog

eskimoshoog Guest

I guess I may be a post whore? :blinkk:

7. mills_330

mills_330 Guest

Thank you for your answeres. As a response, armey you missed the point completley. Who do you think you are giving me a lesson in common curtesy, my grandmother? As for Dawnz, you answere my question perfectly and gave the real reasons people ask for a thank you. So thank you dawnz for your time.

8. kewler

kewler Guest

to share something it is customry to say thankyou these sites were created for sharers the people who don't say thankyou will ultimatly be the ends of these sites reason being to not say thankyou implies you believe it to be piracy yet you still download the files the true sharers believe they are not doing anything wrong cause in their hearts they are sharing their files this is supposed to be a community without the thankyou it may as well be pigs in a trough just out to get what they can get.

THINK ABOUT WHAT I SAY!!

9. sickofdtv

sickofdtv New Member

Do not ask questions you do not want answers to.

I covered all the reasons, and stick by my answers, subject closed for me.

10. kewler

kewler Guest

i wrote this a while back about a thankyou button myself.

Your right this site is the best for sure. i do think that admin could add a thankyou button on the download posts so that lazy people who can't be bothered to type thanks just need to click the button. that way with the button it wouldn't be spamming would it i'm not sure?

Nobody gives to recieve but it is paramount to express your appreciaton to whoever has taken the time out to share their files in real life if you gave your TV to a stranger wouldn't you be pissed if you had no (Appreciation) for the kind gesture, or no gratitude at all?

The Spirit of sharing is a Spirit once that is gone so will these sites!!

Think about it!!

11. kewler

kewler Guest

Right on Army!!

12. kewler

kewler Guest

i wrote this a while back about a thankyou button myself.

Your right this site is the best for sure. i do think that admin could add a thankyou button on the download posts so that lazy people who can't be bothered to type thanks just need to click the button. that way with the button it wouldn't be spamming would it i'm not sure?

Nobody gives to recieve but it is paramount to express your appreciaton to whoever has taken the time out to share their files in real life if you gave your TV to a stranger wouldn't you be pissed if you had no (Appreciation) for the kind gesture, or no gratitude at all?

The Spirit of sharing is a Spirit once that is gone so will these sites!!

Think about it!!

Right on Army!!