What is going on?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Archive' started by deadlegion, Jun 21, 2010.

1. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

Everything was as it normally is, then sb stopped working, and the inline mod functions are screwed again.

I checked to see if any other staff were online, and xanax seems to be looking at the ACP.

Is this just a coincidence?

What the hell is going on?

2. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

Meh.......i suppose i'll check if the board is still broken tomorrow :/

3. itisjust4fun

itisjust4fun Guest

All Options and ModCP Working fine for me at the moment

4. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

Yeah, its working now but it wasn't when i posted those 2 previous messages bro.
    I'm not lying about it........i even had members asking me how to code links 'cos the "button wasn't working" :/

5. ryfaba789

ryfaba789 New Member

For about 3 minutes this afternoon, the forum was super-fast, then got back to normal speed. Do they have a speed control they can use?

6. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

I don't know much about ACP access and what is actually possible.......but i think i remember the webmaster on my old site saying you can set server loads for different things (ie: guests/members priority).
    That was on IPB tho.
    The other thing is > if the overall server load is low, the whole site acts faster anyway (you can see the server load statistics in the MCP).

Stats when i posted this message:
    Server Load Averages 8,75 8,43 8,34 | 1.739 Users Online (316 members and 1.423 guests)

7. itisjust4fun

itisjust4fun Guest

As of this post time...... the site just decided to revert back to not working on all cylinders....... Mod Options, Posting options and the rest not working

8. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

yeah.......it seems to be happening more often now.
    At this rate i predict it won't be long until the board starts crashing.
    And we all know what that means >> some posts will disappear 'cos a backup will load, and many things staff do to fix/move threads will be undone :/

As i have predicted, these things only get worse if left untreated......not better.

9. ryfaba789

ryfaba789 New Member

I hate to admit it, but it does get frustrating. And it's getting exponentially worse. Dear admins, this is such a great, well-established forum. Please do what is needed to get this board fixed. And add the necessary preventative measures. Take a look at warezden-dot-com. There is no spam, no banned folks re-registering, no live links, so many other things in place to keep the board CLEAN - BEFORE the bad things happen, rather than the mods cleaning up the mess afterward. And it's "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2". I was a SuperMod over there for a while and there was absolutely nothing to do - EVER! There's no good reason why this forum can't be the same - OR BETTER! I love you all, anyway.

10. nickbek

nickbek New Member

personal fav phpBB • Creating Communities Worldwide.. use it on warez bb and other sites when i was admin there we had no such problems as we do with vBulletin if we continue to use it at least upgrade to current version

11. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

eh? please don't love me dude.......i'd rather get some hatred with a little respect thrown in lol.

As i have been saying for quite some time now (and other staff have as well)........some serious decisions have to be made, there is no avoiding it anymore.

I only wish to see the site get even better and stronger.......i have no other motivation for speaking my mind so frankly about these important issues.

Cheers guys, and happy hunting

12. ryfaba789

ryfaba789 New Member

Just look at Currently Active Users - 1/4 are banned users. Why should they be allowed to be here? It could only lead to no good. And it lets others see that we apparently have no controls here. As I said earlier, Warezden-dot-com is using version 3.8.2, so there's no excuse, as far as the current version.

13. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

yeah, well on my old site (running IPB) a banned member would be seen as banned on the list until they logged out......then you'd never see them again.
    IP ban was forever there.......no proxies could get past the awesome setup the webmaster put in place.
    And it was a private board, except for the "guest downloads section"

We also had an "elite" section that was for extra special valued members who contributed a lot by helping/interacting with other members and staff, and by uploading quality shares.
    Elites did not have to pay for their status, but they had to set a good example for all members.

Both elites and staff had access to 30 day RS accounts that one of the admins kindly provided on a regular basis.These accounts were shared, and the elite ones were checked sometimes to see if they were being abused (by sharing amongst different IP's).

It was only a small site, but the security was tight........we had 5 admins, i was the only smod and we had a handful of mods.

I was actually surprised to see so many smods when i came here........and there aren't many admins really (or maybe i haven't seen them all).

oh well :/

14. ryfaba789

ryfaba789 New Member

Those were a few good ideas I'd like to see here. There are a few people here who easily deserve elite status. I just wonder if part of the problem is English language? There have been admins here who didn't know English well. Just a thought.

15. nickbek

nickbek New Member

good point fotoguy .. english language may be part of the problem

16. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

It most likely is part of many problems here........for example > many members that have IP's that originate from Vietnam always seem to break rules, and never seem to change what they are doing after warning/infraction (and associated PM).
    It has always been my policy that it is members responsibility to translate rules, PM's and everything else into their own language.
    Sites like this and others don't pay their staff, so how can they possibly employ translators for every language on earth?
    Even if staff were to attempt to translate things for every member......the list of languages is massive, and much valuable time would be wasted.........hence my policy about it being their responsibility, and i carry on enforcing rules.

As for staff being multi-lingual, well hope seems to be ok with English.......but maybe it would be nice idea to have at least another admin that was good with English and who could commit a decent amount of time to hanging around on the site.

PS: check my sticky thread in this section with ideas that i've added from time to time........one of them is to "rotate staff"
    That is > inactive staff lose their status and somebody else is given a go.......old staff members can return if they can commit time again.
    There's other stuff in that thread as well......i mostly repeat myself in threads here in the staff section lol

17. LynnePBaker

LynnePBaker New Member

Catch hit the nail on the head Update to the newest version ov vBulletin if the owners cant fix these get a dam good webmaster!!

Im beging to agree with everyone else..I know im just a low life mod but you seen what i can do but with things the way they are im running at 1/2 speed!

MIKE

18. LynnePBaker

LynnePBaker New Member

As far as Banned members on my forum Wickeddownloads and wickedfriends I had the option to ban members by host or IP when they trie to login they would get a message ..YOU HAVE BEEN BANNED FOR etc... And THAT WAS THAT!!

19. deadlegion

deadlegion Guest

hmmm, if i was messing with the board it would take me a while to get use to having ACP access.

But i think even with no experience it wouldn't take me long to figure out most of it.......I learn fast when i apply myself to a task.

But i'm no coder.......and that's what this place needs desperately atm